I’m always interested in anything related to the business side of the ukulele and daydream of starting something up on my own at some point. All indications point to the ukulele joining the guitar among one of the most popular instruments played by amateur musicians. Perhaps in another few years we’ll have Ukulele Centers around the US instead of Guitar Centers. CNN Money wrote about the fact that the ukulele boom is sustaining mom and pop music stores around the country at this point, and it shows no signs of decline. I’ll be using the business tag on this site to highlight various ukulele-related businesses that I find.
The types of businesses related to the ukulele are many and varied:
- Ukulele luthiers and manufacturers like Mya-Moe and Kala (don’t miss Ukulele Hunt’s huge directory)
- String manufacturers like Aquila and D’Addario
- Accessory manufacturers like Oasis, who make soundhole humidifiers
- Boutique accessory makers like the Uke Leash
- Resellers like Elderly Instruments and The Ukulele Site – the photo above is of my local music shop
- Blogs and news sites like Ukulele Hunt
- Teaching sites like Ukulele Underground and James Hill’s The Ukulele Way
- Software and app makers
Did I miss any?